Tuesday, January 11, 2011

British Museum Experience

I'm so happy that this place is so close! Today was nice and relaxing. Woke up late, walked to the museum, walked back to the room for dinner and off to class later right down the street. I loved the size of this place and the architectural style, which reminds me of the Met, as well as most of it's collection (artifact parts of the Met) I really enjoyed seeing the Rosetta Stone after studying it in art history, typography and history classes. The Elgin Marbles were also really great to see in person because of all the controversey surrounded them. This was a very impressive collection and a nice break from all the paintings, drawings and other forms of 'art' we've been looking at. I also really liked the Living & Drawing room because it had some contemporary pieces, at least compared to the British Musuems collection as a whole. The Picasso to Julie exhibit was okay. Nothing exciting or earth shattering. I did however love that I got to see a Michaelangelo cartoon and a study for Les Demoiselles.

No comments:

Post a Comment