Friday, January 7, 2011

Tate Britain Experience 2 - Muybridge, Whiteread & Beyond

So today we finally got to experience the Tate Britain fully. I have to say, the Muybridge show blew my mind. My thesis project has a lot to do with Muybridge and it wouldn't be possible without him and Egerton's invention of the strobe, my project couldn't be possible. This show also gave me my idea for my final project to this class and I'm super excited for it. I was impressed with the amount of work they had from him including all the images not relating to motion.

Rachel Whiteread... what can I say? I wasn't really drawn to much here. However, I really enjoyed her minimalistic approach to sketches she made for her sculptures like the chairs, tub & line drawings. I was immediately drawn to the ones pertaining photographs of her House studies and the one for the Trafalgar Square Project. These were really interesting with the use of correction fluid and pencil marks. It's giving me all sorts of ideas.

The rest of the museum really bothered me actually. I know they were fixing up a lot of spaces so galleries were moved but it felt way too jumbled. I went from an India room to an European portrait room to contemporary to a modern art room. This was way too fast of a jump for my mind to handle. I also wasn't really impressed with their collection as a whole. All in all, this is probably the least of my favorite museums I've ever been too.

No comments:

Post a Comment